Monday, January 14, 2013

Getting Real on Being Happy

Somehow two months have passed since I last wrote an entry. In that time I've suffered a horrible stomach flu, a persistently abusive cold, a lack of money despite excessive days of consecutive work, car issues, and discovering I have a medical ailment. Winter has never been my favorite season. 

BUT it is a new year and I'm determined to make this one a healthier and happier one. And it has already started as such due to multiple things.... 

1. My "ailment" as I so dramatically called it to lure you into my tale is hypothyroidism. Already this year* I have successfully received medicine for it and hopefully within the next few weeks can see an improvement in my health.  This will significantly improve my life in multiple ways. Energy levels increase, weight gain decreases and life is less unpredictable and hopefully by default, easier.

2. The holidays have passed so my income is finally going into my bank account rather than to gifts for my annoyingly huge and loving family. Granted I was indebted to people so I had to work for awhile just to get back to zero. Thanks again amazing family and friends that lent me those dolla dolla bills. 

3. I'm much less the "new girl" at my two jobs that I foolishly started at the same time. Still the "kinda new girl that doesn't know everything and my coworkers shadily watch to make sure I'm doing things correctly" but not the "obvious new girl" anymore! 

4. I probably have antibodies galore from my month of extreme sicknesses! So yea News, keep laying on the flu horror stories because I'm not scared at all. 

5. The days have officially started getting longer! Can we tell yet? Not really. But it's happening. Kinda like when you grow up. That's happening to me too. I can tell because I'm finally confident with the idea of being a writer and being one as a career. I'm excited for internships that will barely pay me but offer me a chance to be around words. So excited that I just couldn't wait and started writing my first novel. It's been over a week and I only have 500 words.. well, 502 words but the first page is done. And in my experience, the beginning is always the hardest part. Now it's time to write my story and start living one while I'm at it. 

I never thought I'd be in this place, even when I started this blog. It's interesting the way days go by and things get put off. It's maybe even more interesting the way certain things don't.



*I've been suffering symptoms for over a year and a half. So it's not like I aggressively attacked this thing. In fact, I didn't know what it was, yet convinced myself more than once that I had some terminal illness, however, I continually ignored it on days when symptoms weren't bad. In my defense, I did try going to the doctor's while I was still in school but that was inconclusive and it was my senior year of college so what was I gonna do... pursue it? I didn't have time for that. Then I graduated and didn't have time because I was busy lying in the sun. Finally I chose the holidays when i worked every day to figure out what was wrong with me.

P.S. Never again will two months go by without some life lessons learned the hard way by this 20-something ;]


P.P.S. Wanted to post these pictures to remind myself that while I had the gnarliest cold on New Year's Eve, I also had the biggest smiles with my best friends as we started the year spreading germs and cheer. Happy New Year everyone. I hope it brings you happiness and health, both in abundance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment